Fiona McMahon (She/Her)
Fiona is the head of Beyond Basics’ pediatric group but her passion for pelvic floor treatment applies to people of all ages. She has worked to improve awareness of the benefit of pelvic floor physical therapy for children with bowel, bladder, and pain issues.
Fiona’s training in pelvic health began during her doctoral studies at Columbia. While in grad school, also completed the pediatric specialty track. Eventually, she came to realize her true passion was to enable individuals regardless of their age, diagnosis, or prognosis to live the most full and healthy lives possible in whatever time frame they have. Pelvic health rehab was a natural extension of that desire.
Fiona’s philosophy is that functions such as continence, toileting, sexual function, amongst other everyday tasks, are instrumental to leading a full and contented life. Fiona expands on her passion for pelvic floor health by promoting awareness of various pelvic floor and health topics as the head of the blog here at Beyond Basics. Her writing has also been featured in the journal Sexology International. She has worked to improve pelvic floor awareness among medical providers, by co-authoring a chapter in the Textbook of Female Sexual Function and Dysfunction: Diagnosis and Treatment.
Fiona was raised in Maine, so you might not be surprised that when she is not at work she usually can be found outdoors. When the weather is less forgiving, she may also be found outside but with a coat.
Degrees and Certifications
- Bachelor of Science in Biology and Neuroscience, University of Maine
- Doctorate in Physical Therapy, Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons
- The Herman and Wallace Pelvic Rehabilitation Institute
- Inpatient and Orthopedic Rehabilitation, NYU Hospital
- Advanced Orthopedic and Manual Therapy Training, Institute of Physical Art
Memberships and Affiliations
- International Society for the Study of Women's Sexual Health (ISSWSH)
- International Pelvic Pain Society (IPPS)
Hobbies and Interests
- Running, hiking, skiing, and camping